Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reflections on Bolivia

Well, I’m finally en route back to LGA, the place where this whole journey started 30 days ago. I can’t believe how quickly the month has passed. It really does seem like just yesterday I said goodbye to my family and navigated my way through airport security headed for La Paz. Yet, I cannot believe how much I have done and seen since then. And, although cliché to say, I have learned about myself as well.

For one, I am surprised at how well I adjusted to living on my own in a different country. Prior to going to Bolivia, I anticipated a fair amount of culture and language shock. I even prepared myself for nights of feeling lonely and just in case, I packed lots of comedic movies to lift my mood and bring familiar American culture to my lonely Bolivian bedroom. However, I can happily report that I did not need a single one of those movies, and although I missed my family and certain aspects of life in the U.S., I was happy— really happy— in Bolivia!

Mostly, I believe my avoidance of culture shock is due to the amazing group of friends I had with me. Joanna, Erica, and Annie are some of the most open, fun, and caring individuals I have ever met, and I am so lucky to have had them with me! – So if you guys are reading this, thank you so much for sharing this experience with me and making it what it was!! You are all awesome and I will miss each one of you!

I was also surprised at how welcoming Bolivians were to us “outsiders.” In other countries, I have felt slightly less than welcome: weird tourist stares, inappropriate comments, etc. However, in La Paz, people really couldn’t care less where you are from, or what you are doing in their country. As far as they are concerned, their lives are too busy (and probably too interesting) to really care who you are. That sense of anonymity really helped me feel like a regular, Bolivian resident.

Another important lesson I have learned while in Bolivia concerns healthcare. Regardless of the problems of our healthcare system, I am so grateful that we have all the newest technology, treatments, and facilities at our disposal. Yes, there are major flaws with our medical system, but a child would never be refused necessary treatment because his parents could not afford it. Can you imagine living in a country where you know there is a treatment for your child’s illness, but there is nothing you can do for him/her simply because of where you live? Yet, despite the drawbacks of their medical system, Bolivian parents and patients are so kind and gracious for what they do have – a refreshing but sad reality.

Perhaps this is just a mild case of reverse culture shock, but immediately upon my entrance into Miami, I noticed that American culture includes an aspect of attitude and perhaps snobbery. Although it’s probably an unfair generalization of my fellow U.S. citizens, one of the first things that struck me in the airport was, gosh, Americans are rude!! In particular, a few custom agents and some passengers made me miss the quiet respect Bolivians have for one another.

Funnily, upon my return, I also had to continually remind myself to speak in English! I have become so accustomed to using simple Spanish pleasantries such as, “Hola, buenos dias, gracias, etc.” that I find it strange that people here speak English! Haha! My Spanish skills have undoubtedly improved while in Bolivia; however, I still wouldn’t describe myself has conversational (maybe at most minimally conversational). I mean, I can get my point across, but my verb conjugations still require a fair amount of thinking before speaking. I believe it would take me a minimum of 4-6 months living in a Spanish-speaking country to really develop fluidity of speech. Maybe we spent a little too much time speaking English with each other? Alas, I hope to continue to study/practice Spanish here at home.

Ahh! As we speak, we are starting to descend into the New York area, and I can't help but smile. Mostly because I know Peter will be there waiting for me, but I also feel a deep sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I had a wonderful time in Bolivia and wouldn't change a thing. I now have countless memories and experiences that are absolutely priceless. I gained confidence in my ability to rely on myself and have fallen in love all over again with the values of travelling and experiencing the world. Bolivia is undoubtedly a beautiful country, and I am grateful to have visited such a place. The people, the landscapes, and the culture have so much to offer, and I consider myself lucky to have experienced the even the smallest amount.

Thank you, Bolivia, for opening my mind and for providing me with a wonderful home over the past few weeks. You are an inspiration, and I am humbled and gracious to have known you.

All the best,
♥ Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment