
My departure date is quickly approaching and the nerves are really starting to kick into gear! No, travelling solo is not what makes me most nervous. In fact, I am fairly certain that I will find my way there, will be safe, and will learn a lot. What makes me most nervous is the potential communication barrier that will exist between myself and everyone else there! My Spanish language skills definitely leave something to be desired, so it is time to cram!
For the past few weeks I have been downloading and listening to podcasts for learning Spanish. These lessons have prepared me with basic Spanish language skills: I now know how to ask where places are, how to inquire about prices, and perhaps how to discuss the weather or other pleasantries. However, I don’t quite feel prepared to live in a country with a host family or speak with local doctors and patients about complicated health issues … hence, the nerves!!
Luckily, a friend has kindly agreed to tutor Heather and me in Spanish. Did I mention this friend is a Harvard graduate and has created amazing powerpoint slideshows for our lessons? I believe I am in good hands and these additional lessons will jumpstart my language skills to the next level, or shall I say al siguente nivel!
Luckily, a friend has kindly agreed to tutor Heather and me in Spanish. Did I mention this friend is a Harvard graduate and has created amazing powerpoint slideshows for our lessons? I believe I am in good hands and these additional lessons will jumpstart my language skills to the next level, or shall I say al siguente nivel!
No comments:
Post a Comment