Saturday, August 7, 2010

Almuerzo (lunch)!

In Bolivia, lunch is the main meal of the day. Almuerzo is the largest meal of the day and serves as time for families to spend together -- many Bolivians are able to go home from their jobs for almuerzo and even a brief siesta! As Senora explained, Americans are overweight because we eat large meals for dinner then go right to bed! Haha!!! – But sadly, she is correct.

For my first almuerzo, I was served a large bowl of sopa (soup), which I graciously slurped down, thinking that was the menu for the day. However, after finishing the sopa, the family brings out a full plats of rice, beef, fried plantains, and tomatoes – ack! I was pretty satisfied after the bowl of soup, but of course, this is my first meal with the family, so I eat every bit of it to avoid bad impressions.

I’m going to have to learn a polite way to kindly turn down offered food as I am not accustomed to eating that much midday!

No comments:

Post a Comment