Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bienvenidos a La Paz! Pero bienvenidos a la altitud tambien!

Coming to La Paz has been quite the experience so far! After taking off a bit late from Miami, I had a restless sleep on the red eye to La Paz. Upon arrival in Bolivia, I immediately felt the effects of the altitude!! Most noticeably, my heart was beating a little faster and harder than usual and I had minimal traces of a headache.

After exiting the airplane, there was a long line for customs and tourist visas (tourists visiting Bolivia must “apply for,”aka purchase, a visa for $135 USD). About halfway through the snaking queue, I realized I was about to faint! – You know the feeling: hearing decreases, vision goes white, blood drains from your head, the cold sweat begins, and then stomach pains join the mix. So, I grabbed the arm of the man standing in front of me and said “I’m going to pass out!” Luckily he was a nice guy and kindly helped me over to a seat, where I sat, curled over, and dropped my head between my knees to encourage blood to flow back to my brain!

Soon a customs official came over and asked if I would like to see a “medico.” I shook my head yes, and he ushered me to the front of the visa line. Still not feeling strong enough to walk, I sat back down in a chair and assumed my curled over position. Finally, after all my paperwork was completed and I paid my $135, I was assisted to the area for “Oxygen Therapy.” I collapsed onto one of the stretchers and graciously accepted the oxygen mask. All the while, the doc was checking my pulses, my oxygen saturation, etc. I couldn’t help but think, “oh my gosh, I'm going to be sent home after a brief 20 minutes in Bolivia!"

Luckily, after a few minutes on oxygen, I felt good as new, relieved, and slightly embarrassed. After leaving the medic station, the long line of passengers had cleared out, and I set out to retrieve my bags and meet our local CFHI coordinator, Gonzalo.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mal,

    I hope you are feeling better now and are a little more acclimated to the altitude! I know some of the first trips out to New Mexico I had altitude sickness and wound up sleeping 14 hours a days with terrible headaches. I love your blog and take lots of pictures for us to see when you get back- you know if you have time because it sounds like you will be tremendously busy :)

    By the way- my favorite entry is about your watch and my favorite turtle name is "Bob". Definitely very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! We were just talking about the fainting thing the other day too! At least they rushed you to the front of the line. =) Glad you got there safe nevertheless. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have been there with you but I'm glad you're feeling better now! (And that's so going to happen to Shirin and me when we join you in Boliv!) I love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. me gusto much tu blog, especialmente el cuento "las tortugas y mi reloj"!

    Ojala que te sientas mejor, sin problemas de aclimatizacion a la altitud y mas baja concentracion de oxigeno?...

    No te olvides de seguir escribiendo e tu blog!

    chau, chau Mariana

    ReplyDelete