Thursday, August 19, 2010

La Gymnasia

I joined a Bolivian gym today! The gym here is brand new and is located in the multicine (a complex with a movie theater, food courts, arcades, and a few random stores). The membership was expensive, at about half the price I pay for the gym at home in NY. However, I’ve always been a strong believer that exercising and taking care of my body is well worth the “splurge.” Even on a student’s limited budget, I always make allowances for a membership to a nice gym.

Due to the altitude, I was a bit nervous for my first workout. So I decided to take it easy today: 20 minutes on the elliptical, minimal ab work, and only 2 sets of exercises with the free weights. Although I must say, the altitude did affect my workout. After the first 15 minutes on the elliptical, I thought perhaps I should stop, but I powered through and did not pass out! My little 5 pounds weights also felt a little heavier here, but perhaps that’s because I have not been to the gym in about 1 month! Oops!

Overall however, how did it feel to work out again? Pretty darn good – yay for endorphins!

Erica and I are going to try out the pilates class this week, and if we are feeling really optimistic, we may even attend a spin class! Maybe we will be superathletes when we return home due to our increased tolerance for low-oxygen states?!

No comments:

Post a Comment